Main Article Content
Aims: - To investigate the level of awareness and to improve healthcare professionals' and students' knowledge of the role of occupational therapists in Saudi Arabian cancer patients.
Method: A descriptive, cross-sectional survey was conducted via an online questionnaire among healthcare providers and health care students (male/female) in Saudi Arabia. The study's estimated sample size was 382, based on the estimated population.
Results: The study's findings revealed that a sizable majority of the participants had experience working with cancer patients, either in the past or currently. However, the study also highlighted some gender differences (Out of the participants, 77(67.5%) subjects were females, and the other 37(32.5%) subjects were males) in the types of health professionals involved in assisting cancer patients. The study also found that there were no significant differences between male and female participants in their knowledge about barriers to providing occupational therapy and who should be referred to such therapy.
Conclusion: The study suggests that occupational therapy has an important role to play in cancer care in Saudi Arabia. However, to further enhance Occupational therapy's significance in cancer treatment and the need to remove obstacles that may prevent health care professionals from referring patients to occupational therapy services and to tailor educational programs to the unique needs and perspectives of male and female occupational therapists.